Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Vote TIM BURNS for County Commissioner

Tim Burns

I understand people's skepticism about government. They hear about public servants in positions of power serving themselves instead of constituents. From the City Manger of Troy to the Macomb County Prosecutor being indicted for corruption there is a lot for folks to roll their eye about when it comes to government working for them. Just in this campaign alone, my opponent Tom Kuhn has been caught abusing tax dollars to benefit himself by having the County purchase advertising to provide him with free publicity in the days leading up to Election Day. It is a shame that elected officials act more like school yard bullies than good neighbors!

I've witnessed my own children beginning to show a cynicism about government. So as a concerned dad, I decided to show them that things can be different. Good people can make a positive contribution to their communities through elected office. I am running for this office because we can't let the political dysfunction tearing us apart continue.

Tim Burns

Now anyone can say what I am expressing, but my actions back up my words. Previously serving on the County Board representing Clawson and Troy, I was regularly recognized for Perfect Attendance and earned a reputation as the "hardest working Commissioner on the Board." As a Democrat, I was a member of the Minority Party which had diluted representation in committee assignments and other opportunities to have influence on the Board of Commissioners. Yet I didn't let that hold me back from having a positive impact!

I drafted and sponsored the County's E-Verify Policy that is still in effect ten years later. This policy helps prevent businesses that utilize illegal workers from getting an unfair advantage to obtain county contracts  to get the lowest bid. I put a stop to the County violating prevailing wage laws on federally funded projects. I partnered with a Republican Sheriff and Prosecutor to create a Consumer Protection initiative that received accolades from law enforcement, the media and local residents. I helped protect County park land that was trying to be sold off to a politician's friend in a backroom deal. I worked with the Water Resources Commissioner to transform otherwise vacant land above sewer pipelines into dog parks and soccer fields.

Most importantly, I helped steer Oakland County through the Great Recession without raising taxes or eliminating essential services. You often hear that Democrats are all about raising taxes. That is just not true in my case and I have a track record to prove it. My focus is in improving property values not increasing tax rates. We all do better with high property values and low taxes. By smartly investing in infrastructure, education, health care and public safety we can have both! Oakland County has one of the lowest operating millage rates in the State of Michigan and it is my goal to keep it that way.

Tim Burns

So I've told you about what I've done. Now where do we go from here! We have to focus on tackling the coronavirus pandemic. 

My plan is to make testing more available and convenient for businesses and schools to help get people back to workplaces and classrooms safely. Plus making sure small businesses have the PPE they need to reopen for the safety of their employees and customers. I will support the Health Department taking medically-supported public safety actions while also getting counsel from the business community to mitigate damage to our economy caused by this public health crisis. Additionally, will work with the Health Department to ensure an orderly distribution of vaccinations when they become available. 

As your County Commissioner, I promise to make educated decisions on issues based upon a foundation of facts and science rather than political or special interest agendas. I pledge to put people before politics! I've used "I" a lot in these paragraphs, but this campaign isn't about me or my opponent. It is about us all as a community. 

Tim Burns

Tim Burns is ready to roll up his sleeves and get to work. I hope you will hire me for the job. Please vote Tim Burns for Oakland County Commissioner serving the communities of Auburn Hills, Rochester Hills and Troy [District 11]. 

No comments:

Post a Comment